The Working Mom


For most mothers, having to return to work after having your child comes out of necessity and financial strain. Unfortunately the same circumstances forced me to go back into the work force this past February.

I was lucky enough to find a position in my field of study. Praise the Lord that he allowed me the opportunity to work as a staff accountant. Being an accountant has been my "dream" position if you will. I've been trying to get a position in accounting since I began my degree in 2009. I completed my master's degree in December and I found my current position in February. It was exciting news for us because unemployment had already run out and we were struggling on just my husband's salary. It was bittersweet. At the same moment I received the call, I looked at my daughter. She looked up at me as she played with her toys on our living room floor. My eyes watered up immediately. This was it. I had to leave her. At that point, I had been at home with her for close to a year. I loved being a stay at home mom. It was great! I had everything down to a science when it came to Chloe and caring for the home. I really enjoyed it and if it wasn't for our financial needs...I would've never returned to work. I was able to experience so much when I was home with her. I watched her grow. I watched her intelligence and vocabulary increase. My house never looked better. lol. But I had to leave and it was hard. I was excited because I was finally able to work but I was sad and anxious because I had to leave my Chloe behind.

My husband and I were very blessed that his mother was able to step up and watch the baby for us. She is great with her and the best part....she follows all our rules. I can't stress how absolutely imperative it was for us that Chloe be kept on schedule for her nap, feedings and the potty training. I worked hard to get my Chloe where she was. I needed someone to keep up with what I had accomplished. I thank God for my mother in law. She gets it.

Being a working mom, however, brings a slew of new issues. I need to learn to balance my time and energy. I have a toddler who is very high energy and wants my complete attention when I get home. Tax season is pretty draining so its difficult to try to keep up with her. I want to spend endless amounts of time with her but I'm tired and slightly cranky. I want to get home and unwind from the day but that's not usually possible. Chloe doesn't understand Mommy just went through stacks of tax returns and financial information. She doesn't understand the waking up super early and the commute time. The only thing she understands is Hi Mommy, I'm so happy you're home. Let's play! I must admit I don't give her my full attention. In my head, I really want to but I just don't. I don't know how to muster the energy. A lesson I have to learn.

I also have to make sure to devote time and energy to my husband. He gets home just as tired but he musters the energy to play with the baby much better than I do. Thank God for that. But I know he needs me as well. I need to give him time. I need to listen to him and talk with him, probably just as much as he needs to do the same with me. The problem with that? We only have time for ourselves when the baby goes to sleep. She's usually out by 10pm but by then...I'm exhausted. I try to stay up. I try to focus but I'm usually down for the count around 11pm.

I know I still have a lot of learning and adjusting to do. The last time I worked she was a lot younger and didn't require so much attention and energy. She was a baby. Now its a completely different experience with a very rambunctious toddler. Hopefully once tax season is over and we move into our new apartment, things will be easier.

How do you juggle your time?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How am I supposed to breathe with no air?

Post Tax Season Breather

Makes me wanna...SCREAM